I Sought Counsel

I’ve sought counsel from numerous people – About me:

My life. My hurt. My pain. My joy. – On all the different things I see;

I went to them seeking counsel, in how to please the One above,

How to live a life for Him – not out of force – but love.

I’ve gotten the wrong advice, from more than I care to remember,

Advice that cut, bled, and scarred me – All which became a part of ‘I’

A part that is impossible to dismember.

But it comes to a point that I realize, their wrong counsel was essential

In removing a faulty foundation and showing me my true potential.

Without their bogus words, probably well intentioned,

I wouldn’t have appreciated the uplifting words.

Perhaps, would have ignored them when mentioned

Instead they sunk deep, straight to an aching heart,

Making more sense than ever, a feeling I hope will never part.

There are certain things that are not understood

Except through pain then redemption

Certain things that are not understood

Unless you are compelled to first question

Question everything you know, and everything you did.

Everything you heard and everything you believed in.

They say learning is a gift – no matter who the teacher.

Even if its teacher is pain – as long as it leads to a brighter future.

1. Aeesha S. says:

Nice!

2. Yasmin says:

Jazakallah Khair for this very beautiful and meaningful poem!

3. I love Reebo says:

I came, in pain, my heart aching, looking for something to heal it. I found your poem Reebo.I love you.

4. ayesha says:

subhanallah soo true!

5. Masha Allah, BEAUTIFUL poem!

6. Basmah says:

Well said. Indeed pain is one of the best of teachers.

7. Khadijah says:

Alhamdulillah!! Al-Lateef was doing Ihsaan on you :) (did I get that right?)

8. Farah says:

I can so relate to this poem. Jazak Allah Khair for voicing a kindred thought

9. María M says:

As salamu alaykum,

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful and true Poem.

Good and not so good is all included in the package of growing up, we live in a world of polarities, no way out of it, thank to that we can appreciate the Unity…When we don´t know, we walk blindly and almost anyone can be a teacher, once we begin to acquire knowledge, we begin to discern what we want to learn and who we want to teach us, but this is just an illusion, we are always guided to the best for us, even when we are not able to appreciate it, Alhamdulillah, in the way, we are being polished.

When the time is right, we will be able to appreciate that everyone is a teacher, everyone has something to share with us and we have a lesson to learn, good and not so good, to get ready for the next test. The process of learning and polishing is neverending until we die, Alhamdulillah.

Wasalam,
    María

10. Ms J says:

Subhanallah.. Would like to share this in my blog n fb.. Thanks..

11. rehmatullah khan says:

assalaam u alaikum wr wb. very well written. but it did remind me of someone i have hurt aaaaaaaaaaalot with my words and actions… i guess that person will get wat i mean….

12. Abdullah says:

I Love This <3 .. Masha'a Allah Sr. Rehab lol .. keep it up ^__^

13. Sumaya says:

“They say learning is a gift – no matter who the teacher.

Even if its teacher is pain – as long as it leads to a brighter future.”

Masha’a Allah, such a brilliant poem
    Jazakeallahu khair :)

14. imane says:

very nice Mashae’Allah, may Allah bless you

15. Su says:

JazakAllah Khayr for this nice and touching poem that pierced my very hard heart…
    I posted this on my blog if you don’t mind:)