Some Ramadan Rulings for Women

By Sh. Muhammad al-Hassan Wali al-Dido al-Shanqiti | Translated by Suhaib Webb

[I begin] with the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Exerciser of Mercy. I send prayers and salutations upon the one brought out as a mercy to everything, his family, companions and whoever follows his guidance and his way until the Last Day.

Indeed, women are distinguished with several specific rulings [in Islamic law]. That is because the Shari’ah rulings are built on consideration of differences between individuals, kindness and gentleness. Allah [The Exalted] says:

“He [Allah] did not place upon you, in the religion [Islam], any hardship.”

The 7 mushaqa [hardships]:

There is a universal maxim, from the major maxims of Shari’ah, which states “Hardship brings ease.” Thus, if something causes difficulties for people, then Allah [The Exalted] lifts the obligation of its observance and removes its hardship. For that reason, the scholars mentioned the precepts of hardship [meaning the applicability of this maxim] as: sickness, weakness, insufficiency, abundance, traveling, indecisiveness and fear. These precepts [if present] will lead to hardship. Thus, if any one of them presents themselves, the Shari’ah takes it into consideration [by assigning it a ruling that relieves its burden].

Women are presented with a number of issues that meet the requirements of hardship [as designated by the precepts above] such as pregnancy, nursing, menstruation and irregular vaginal blood flow [menorrhagia]. If one of these four issues presents itself, it influences the rulings related to purity, prayer and fasting. We plan, Inshallah, to spend some time discussing these issues and the relevant rulings related to them and fasting in light of these precepts.

The first issue menstruation:

If a woman menstruates before the commencement of Ramadan [meaning she enters into the month on her menses] then she must not fast until she is absolutely certain that she is pure. This purity is ascertained by two means: dryness in the place of her menses, or a clear white liquid which comes at the end of her cycle. If she becomes certain that her menses have stopped during the night then she is obligated to fast the next day. However, if she has doubts [regarding the end of her cycle], then the consideration is given to her established state, menstruation, and fasting is not an obligation upon her until she is sure of its cessation. On the other hand, if the opposite holds true, she is pure and has doubts about her cycle starting, then such a doubt is not taken into consideration because it is a doubt related to something which prevents [in this case fasting]. Thus, consideration is given to the established ruling that it is obligatory for her to fast, since her purity is what is certain.

If a woman menstruates during the day time, and she is sure of her menses, then the ruling [that allows her to break her fast] is applied because menstruation breaks the fast and prevents its observance. However, it is an obligation for her to make up [the days she missed from fasting due to her menses]. Thus, the menstruating woman is obliged to make up the days of fasting [that she missed] but not the prayers. This is established by the sound narration of ‘Aisha who said, “We were ordered to make up the fast [of Ramadan] but not the prayers.” This [report] makes clear that it is an obligation to make up the fasting days in which a menstruating woman breaks her fast and that it is not obligatory upon her to make up the prayers she missed [due to her menses]. The difference between the two is that prayers are a common occurrence [five times a day] where as fasting is not [once a year for 29 or 30 days]. This profusion related to prayers is considered from one of the precepts mentioned earlier, abundance, and since the number of prayers, that are obligatory upon her and which she missed are so many then, it is not an obligation upon her to make them up, because of the hardship incurred due to their large quantity unlike fasting.

The nature of women is different when it comes to the strength of their menses. The Prophet [May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him] made clear that the longest normal time period for a woman’s menses is either six, or seven, days, and that there are some women whose menses will be less, and some whose menses will be longer. If it is the first time a woman has experienced menstruation, then her purity is established by either her becoming dry, or the appearance of a white fluid that comes at the end of her menses. And if the woman has menstruated before, then she is considered as one who has developed a natural pattern regarding her cycle. However, it must be noted that there is a difference amongst the scholars regarding how many times she should have menstruated before her cycle is considered a means to measure her menses. Some of the scholars hold that she should have menstruated at least three times. Thus, if she menstruates three times consecutively within a three month span, then she will know the strength of her menses because of her experience. However, if she menstruates once, or twice, without reaching three consecutive times, then according to those scholars the measurement of her cycle cannot be known. It is said that it is sufficient for her to menstruate only once. Meaning, if she menstruates and discovers that the norm of her cycle is seven days or six days and that her purity comes in the morning or the evening, then this measurement is taken into consideration.

It is possible that a woman’s cycle could start at anytime during the day. However, it is not obligatory for her to check her menses at night before sleeping. However, when she awakes in the morning if she checks and finds that the area of her menses is dry, then it is obligatory for her to fast. And if she still sees some discharge then she is considered on her cycle and she will stay in that condition until she is absolutely sure that her cycle has ceased. However, if her habit is to end her menses with a white clear discharge, then she should wait for it because it is the sign of her purity and considered more accurate then dryness [this was the opinion of Abdu al-Rahman bin Qasim see Hashiyat al-‘Adawi ‘ala Risalah Abi Zaid al-Qayrawani. SDW]. With that in mind, it is possible that she could rely upon dryness regarding fasting. Thus, if she discovers that she is dry and the white discharge [that signifies the end of her menses] has not come before dawn, then it is possible for her to fast and, after that, if she experiences the white discharge, it will not damage her fasting. And if her menses stops during the night, and she fasts and experiences discharge after the evening prayer, then her fast, for that day, was sound as it was considered a day free of menses. However if she awakes pure, begins her fast and then experiences her menses again during the day, then she must break her fast and make up that day.

1. muslimah says:

Asalam Aleikum

2:128] “Our Lord, make us submitters to You, and from our descendants let there be a community of submitters to You. Teach us the rites of our religion, and redeem us. You are the Redeemer, Most Merciful.

Ameen

Jzkheri May Allah S.w.t reward you and your family for all the effort you make to share the knowledge of Islam.

• lion.k says:

if a women starts mensurating in ramadan and she doesn’t fast but she doen’t eat until iftar time will she get the reward that a fasting person gets????

• rum says:

no because we cant fast if girls start mensuration and it is Allah’s choice what we do and what we don’t do.

hope that helped :)

2. Haq says:

WE NEED MORE POSTS LIKE THIS ONE!!!!

I just love the way he connects the maxims to the specifics and brings nass where necessary similar to what Sh Bin Bayyah does.

3. Sister says:

Thanks for this post. Subhanallah, I had some urgent questions about such issues and your post just answered them! Keep them coming!

4. sister says:

Salam alaykum jazakhallah khairan for this post.. i hope other sisters find it as beneficial as i did.
    like ‘Haq’ said WE NEED MORE POSTS LIKE THIS

ramadan kareem

5. Anam says:

Thank you for this post! Alhamdulillhah.

6. Zaynab says:

JazakAllah khayr Shaykh!

This may be a tall order, but could you give some advice as to what sisters should do on the days they are not fasting? And explain any touchy fiqh issues (like is she allowed to recite Qur’an from a computer instead of holding a mushaf, or can she stay up and do other ibaadah in the last 10 nights)?

BarakAllah feek

7. JazakAllahu Khair.

I have been trying for some time to make resources such as this available for sisters over the internet, my knoweldge is limited and my reach very short.

ma’assalama

8. R says:

I was wondering what the ruling is on when women experiencing a longer than usual menses. Say over 2 weeks.

• Me says:

There are many books on this subject written by trusted scholars like Muhammad bin Uthaimeen, Bilal Philips, etc. Please sister endeavour to obtain one of these books. The knowledge of Fiqh issues dealing with menstruation as they relate to prayer, fasting, hajj is obligatory on every woman.

9. Umm Bilal says:

From what i have read and learned through my research is that one of The strong opinion is that if it goes beyond 10 days then the time beyond the tenth day will be like any other, meaning she should make ghusl and then start praying like usual, because it is deemed to be abnormal bleeding at that point.

10. Umm Bilal says:

I am also interesting in knowing the opinion regarding the reading of the Quran while a woman is menstruating. I have been researching this of late, as I was taught that one should never read Quran while menstruating, however in the are I live I see that most women still read the Quran.

• tina says:

1)Reciting the Qur’aan:

Although there is a difference of opinion, many of the scholars, including Ibn Abbaas, Imaam Bukhaari, Ibn Taymiyah, Ibn Baaz, Shaikh al-Albaani, etc said that it is okay for a woman on her menses to read the Qur’aan, without touching it directly.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said: “There is no clear, saheeh text to indicate that a menstruating woman is forbidden to recite Qur’aan… It is known that women used to menstruate at the time of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and he did not forbid them to recite Qur’aan, or to remember Allaah (dhikr) and offer du’aa’.”

And Shaikh Ibn Baaz said: “It is permissible for the woman who is menstruating or bleeding following childbirth to recite Qur’aan according to the more correct of the two scholarly opinions. ” (Majmoo‘ Fataawa Ibn Baaz, 10/209)

If you want to be extra careful about not touching the Mushaf, you can also read the Qur’aan off of the Internet or on your cell phone.

2)Read the meanings and tafseer of the Qur’aan:

Pick up a good tafseer of the Qur’aan and read it. There is no Tahaarah required for it. Reflect on the words of your Rabb, ponder over the meanings and understand what Allaah is saying to us. These ayaat,my sister, are not there just for us to read; rather to interact with them, and implement them in our lives. Allaah says:

“(This is a) Book that We have sent down to you, full of blessings, so that they may ponder over its aayaat, and that those of understanding may remember.” [Surah Saad:29]

And what better time would we have than now, to read the translation and tafseer, to understand the meanings of this Noble Book, so that we can achieve guidance?

“And We have indeed made the Qur’aan easy to understand and remember, then is there any that will remember (or receive admonition)?” (Surah al-Qamar:17)

3) Listening to the Qur’aan:

There’s nothing like listening to a beautiful recitation of the Qur’aan, especially at times when you are feeling down, such as because of your period. It fills the heart with such tranquility, such peace that no words can describe. It increases Imaan and brings you great rewards since listening to the Qur’aan with an attentive heart is an act of Ibaadah in itself.
      The Sahaabah loved to listen to the Qur’aan being recited and even the Prophet (sal Allaahu Alayhi wa sallam) would sometimes listen to the Qur’aan from other people and he would cry.
      Abdullaah ibn Mas’ood said: “The Messenger of Allaah (sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa sallam) said to me: “Recite the Qur’aan to me.” I said: O Messenger of Allaah, should I recite to you when it was revealed to you? He said: “I like to hear it from someone else.” So I recited al-Nisa’, and when I reached the verse, “How (will it be) then, when We bring from each nation a witness and We bring you (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) as a witness against these people?” [al-Nisa’ 4:41], I raised my head….and I saw his tears flowing.. (Bukhaari, Muslim)
      So play a beautiful recitation of your favorite Qaari, close your eyes and listen attentively. Let the Words of the Lord of the Worlds echo in the room, filling your ears, your mind, your whole being. Let those ayaat penetrate deep into you until your heart shakes and your skin shivers…and then Believe. And Submit.

11. ummibrahim says:

What about a woman who is nursing? Does she have to fast? If it is too difficult for her does she have to make up the 30 days later? and does she have to pay fidya?

12. Nomad78 says:

According to my understanding from Fiqh Al-sunnah my wife had to pay Fidya if she was planning on going the whole year (Ramadan to Ramdan) breastfeeding. So last Ramadan we fed 30 people (a person a day) and this year she is still breastfeeding so we're going to do the same inshallah. If I recall correctly the stipulation for paying Fidya instead of making up the fast was breastfeeding for the whole year in between the Ramadans. Wallahu Alam (Allah knows best).
    Nomad78

13. Zainab says:

I’m also curious about the Quran issue. I heard women are allowed to read translation and tafsir of Quran, but not recite.

14. muslimgirl says:

salaam,
    i agree with some of the above posts which state that we need more posts like this!! MANY MORE PLEASE!! also Zaynab above mentioned discussing fiqh issues such as if we can read quran, pleease address that

15. muslimah says:

As salaamu alaykum,

May Allah(swt) have mercy on me for my wording and forgive me for any wrongdoing.

I was wondering what a women should do if she is in a state of fasting from fajr to just before asr (4:45pm), and she notices a very slight sliver of bright red discharge from her awrah, is it considered that her menstruation has started and her fast is broken? then the same day at asr (5:30pm) she checks again and there is no discharge of any color of red from her awrah, does this mean her menstruation has not started and that her fast is still continuing?
    In this specific situation the sister does not have what many women call a “normal cycle”, some months her cycle is longer and occur later in the month and some months her cycle is shorter and earlier in the months, and occurrence of when in the month her cycle occurs varies often. Her menstruation is also not characterized by dark brown blood at the beginning but rather bright blood and then darker red to maroon colored blood towards the middle of the cycle then weening off to a dirty red-brown colored discharge towards then end. The sister is also having doubt of when to cease being in a state of ritual impurity as she does not experience this white discharge at the end of the cycle and as mentioned she experiences discharge that is brown and then eventually yellow at the end days of her cycle. The sister also experiences clear mucus like discharge that sometimes has tinges of yellow throughout the month, does she then need to do ghusl each time she experience this?

Please can you guide me as to when should she consider the beginning of her menstruation and the end? And when she is in ritual impurity what acts of worship from the Shafi School perspective is she not allowed to perform, as she is a new practicing muslim and is currently trying to learn the adab of one School at the time. Can she read the English translation of the Quran which also has arabic in it or is she forbidden to do this?

Again, I ask for Allah(swt) to forgive me if I have been to open in the matter and if I have committed any sins and wrongdoings.

I apologize for any wrongdoings and for soo many questions, please forgive me.

Barak’Allah feek,

May Allah(swt) reward you for your help and efforts.

Wa alaykum salaam,

Your sister in islam.

• Sister in Islam says:

Sister, Did you get a answer for your question ? I am in the same suituation as you but it’s like that every month.please let me know if I should break my fast even though my real menses didn’t start.
      JK

16. ghjf says:

Salaam
    JazakAllah for the post.

I just want to clarify, when it says “clear” – you mean when the bleeding stops *and* there’s no discharge?
    :S
    Also I’ve heard the 10 day thing as well, as Umm Bilal said.
    What if the actually bleeding stops but the discharge stays until day 9/10/11 – does this mean its still a period and the 10 day rule should be followed, or should you purify yourself when the bleeding stops.
    (This may be a stupid Q to ask here but…) If the cycle is like this everytime – i.e discharge doesn’t become clear until day 10/11, should the person see a doctor, or is it fine, since its always like this?

17. ghjf says:

woops, my Q is pretty similar/same as muslimah above, apart from the irregular cycle. Sorry, should’ve read.

18. Jahan says:

My menses is staying for 8 days, but very little. May I continue Siam & Salat.

19. Sister says:

Salam, my Q is in regards to the statement “if she discovers that she is dry and the white discharge [that signifies the end of her menses] has not come before dawn, then it is possible for her to fast and, after that, if she experiences the white discharge, it will not damage her fasting.”
    I’m not sure if I will get my answer in time but my question is, I wont have access to a shower because of being at work during the night…if I encounter the above situation (in quotations) while at work, can I still make the niyya to fast and then shower when I get home after fajr? Will my fast count for that day?

20. embee says:

Salams all – my q is that I am on my periods and today is the third day. it is said that if periods id three days or less it is as a disease. so should i fast this day or and lesave for full three days and then if i see nothing i should dstart fasting.

Answer to sister: if you are pure and had a bath and during the day you have experienced discharge(depending on the colour, if clear) then if possible have a bath and then continue your fast and namaz . To the second question – yes you can come home and shower and continue your fast
    Hope this has answered your question.

21. embee says:

reply to jahan: It is said that if more then 10 days then you can continue your namaz and salat. if you have entered your 8th day and still continuing i suggest you wait 10 days and if still continue then have ghusl and then start your fast and salat.
    ghif&Muslimah: if bleeding stops then you are to have ghusl and start praying. It is not necessary one has discharge after her periods if depend and varies person to person. if certain discolouration in the discharge then it means that you still be on your periods but as I said if it continues till 10 days then it is allowed to do ghusl and pray your salats
    Any more question do not hesitate to ask

22. soofiya says:

Thanks alot for this post!!!
    it is very helpful.

23. friend says:

is it mendatory to leave atleast 5 rozas during menses? even if your periods stops before 5 days?

24. Red Apple says:

Thanks alot..
    and Keep going! :)

25. Alli says:

what about if your fasting and its 2/3 hours before the fast opens and you get your period, what do you do, break your fast or keep the hours that are left?

26. KAHKASHAN says:

salaam, i finished my periods like a week ago and now i am making up my missed fasts during ramadan and i started bleeding again (spotting), i am confused whether my fast counts or i have to make up again. jazakallah khair

27. tamzin says:

i just want to ask you a queation if the women has started for 3 year but has irregular period still. then could she fast after 7 days

28. Sania says:

I want to ask that if i m having a fast a during this fast at day time my menses begin which breks my fast. Is it sinful?? Do i have to do something for it?

29. maham says:

my menses cycle is 7 days but it gets 2 to 3 days more before proper start of my periods.so what should do whether to keep fast or no not?

30. Sister says:

Salaam,
    I was fasting today when I realized I was bleeding. My period was meant to start tomorrow. I broke my fast and went to eat. Now the blood has ceased or maybe it has just slowed down but I think what I saw earlier was spotting and I’m not sure what to do. Should I carry on with my day & repay this day of fasting I missed after Ramadan or should I go back to fasting?

31. Sahiba says:

What if you have your menses going on for months. Do you still leave your prayers and fasting ?

32. arooj says:

i ve a question ….i m done with my periods re so irregular ….like it s been more than ten days its on …it stop n after like two days starts again ….what should i do ….should i keep fasting or stop for these days

33. Zen says:

Salaamalaikum everyone,

Ok so basically I have already had my period which ended 5 days ago and was 5 days long but during these last few days on two occasions I have found a maroon coloured discharge. Do I break the fast or continue? I read about the ten day rule but I’m confused as to how this would be applied to my situation. Please reply ASAP as you all know it is currently Ramadan and I don’t know what to do.

Hope to get a reply soon

34. Elle says:

Waalaikum salam, Zen. I think you should break your fast, as you do have maroon discharge. Start fasting and praying again after performing ghusl when you don’t have discharges (or when you have normal ones, i.e, whitish or slightly yellowish). I hope i helped.
    And Allah knows best.

35. Syedha says:

I want to ask, that i have 4 brothers and my Father at home, and during ramadan , i have to skip Fast due to menses, and when my Brothers ask me , why i skiped, then it feels quite emabarecing for me…
    I dont understand that Why Allah give so many hardships just to the woman…
    I have to bear so much pain, i have to hide from others, i have to skipFast in the holly month…
    Kindlly guide me, or give me some clues for this issue.
    Thanks

• Aishah says:

Dear sister Syedha,I think that you should explain to your brothers this issue regarding the woman`s period and the rulings on fasting that come with it. It is nothing to be ashamed about. The knowledge is the light. Our prophet saws wasn`t ashamed to pass all the knowledge to his companions regarding many intimate issues. If your brothers still don`t know why women are not allowed to fast during certain days of month in Ramadan then it is a good opportunity to help them to understand this issue and enlarge their knowledge about islam. It can be very beneficial for them and it can help them to understand better their wives and daughters in the future in shaa Allah. May Allah ta`ala makes it easy for you, ameen

• rum says:

i have to do the same i have to wake up for sehri and eat and pretend i’m fasting it is hard i know how it feels but it is Allah’s choice

36. Halima says:

In the case of a pre-menopausal cycle, my period lasts for 2 days – then stops for 2 approx – then starts towards the end of the allocated time – usually for about half a day- then dark discharge for another day or so – should I fast for the usual 7 days that would have been my regular cycle when i was younger. I feel guilty not fasting in the middle days – but I can start/ stop at anytime within those 7 days.
    Please advise jzk

37. Sapna says:

My sister has polycystic ovaries and this results in long periods or no periods for a long time. After a long time, she is now on her period during the holy month of Ramadan. Our mother and grandmother had told her that after 10 days, she is able to keep fast. Can she or can she not?

38. C says:

This is great information, thank you so much. Honestly some of the rulings I find written about women’s menstruation in Islam are written by men who obviously have no idea what a period is really like! But this reads like someone who is very knowledgeable on the subject from a woman’s perspective, and I really appreciate it.

• Cd says:

What are you talking about? Sheikh Suhaib webb is a man and Sheikh al-Shanqeeti is also a man.

May Allah bless all our scholars. When they are talking about these issues you will think men menstruate as well, because they have painstakingly and meticulously studied to derive the correct rulings.

Maybe you were talking about amateurs but definitely not a Scholar…….

39. Me says:

Bit confused about the definition of clear white! What about off-white? This is a matter confuses me every year. I won’t pray like this and sometimes I’ll fast but not pray! Because i wonder if its me being overzealous and wanting an excuse to eat, but Im scared to pray when it is not allowed. So it’s not dry and it is a white liquid but not clear. Confused.com!

40. Cupcake says:

I did ghusl yesterday morning and after futoor some blood came out. Then, before fajr nothing was discharged so I did wodoo(ablution) and I prayed al fajr nd I read some Quran nd I intended to fast . Nothing discharged until now nd I think I am pure. I prayed all my prayers and I read some more Quran. Should I continue fasting since I am clean and DRY right now or should I do ghusl again? I heard that if u do ghusl and then u bleed for less than a day or 3 days then u do not have to do thusly again. Is this true or not? I hope someone answers my question as soon as possible and thank you all for your great comments and advice!!!

41. proud muslimah says:

Alhamdullilah. I got all the answers I need, may Allah bless you all and my He guide us unto the right pth and also bless us with Jannah. Amin

42. suha cassim says:

I am 49 and have been having irregular periods – sometimes it looks like mensus and other times it is red but either way it stops and starts with no regularity in timings- have no idea if it menopausal but should be – I want to fast for arafat at least- I had the mensus for wekks now , stopped and I thhought it over and prayed but it started again – can I pray? ASAP SOS Jazakallah please reply to my email. Suha

43. Dana khan says:

Salaam,

Firstly I heard that anything after 15 days is not a period according to islamQa? So a bit confused. 2ndly what is the ruling in Ramadan if you are bleeding after fajr but by shujat your period stops, it’s clear? Should you abstain from eating?
    JazakAllah

44. Aqsa says:

Asslam o alaikm. I was observing fast timing was from 3 30 am to 7 13 pm.At 5 30 I experienced periods. But I didn’t eat anything till Iftaar. Should it be counted in my fasts or not?

45. Tabassum says:

Asalamualiykum

Thank you for this post. I still have a question with regards to this. After my period finishes on the eighth day I perform ghusl. 4 to 5 days after my period has finished I always get a clear/white discharge throughout the day for about 3-4 days. My question is, is during these 3-4 days where I get a clear discharge am I able to fast in the month of Ramadan and am I allowed to pray Salah as at times there is discharge whilst praying salah??

46. Amatullah says:

As Salaamu Alaikum,

I have a complex issue that just started this year and I’m confused as to how I should deal with it. I was recently diagnosed with endometriosis and my PCP put me on a low dose BC. I have been bleeding for two consecutive months. Some days, it’s too heavy to wear a liner but doesn’t flow heavy like a menstrual cycle. Then on other days, it flows extremely heavy and I have to be prepared so I won’t have an accident in public.

I tried fasting the first two days or Ramadan, when my flow was light and I thought I was finally catching a break. However, I’d end up flowing heavily before Maghrib and have to break my fast.

So my questions are, since I have a chronic condition that requires taking medication and since I have a consistent blood flow, can I actually fast and pray after a certain period of time? And since I have a chronic condition, do I have to make up these days of fasting? Also, I recently became engaged and my fiance is aware of my condition. However, I don’t know if or when we could ever be together once we’re married. What is the ruling on marital rights when a woman has a consistent menses?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

47. Ayeshah says:

Asalmu alaikum,

jazaak Allah for this web.My question is that what is the rule of fasting for a woman whose periods are irregular and last more than 10 days.or spotting for few days than red bleed for 3 days and than again spotting and light bleeding twice a day?In short very much period all over the month and is diagnose with PCOS that is ovary problem.In this case what that woman has to do for fasting???any help much appreciated!

48. Rasa says:

If you fasted during your period or have the white liquid but didn’t know it would not count do you have to redo that day you fasted ?

49. Gaz says:

I am on birth control pills and after the course of the one month cycle today I am spotting a little .. Am I suppose to brake my fast??

50. muslimah says:

If women notice yellow discharge just after sehr time on 7 th day of menstruation . .Can she fast on that day ? And if she fast whole day and white discharge apear during afternoon she take bath nd get pure at afternoon . . ?