The Birth of the Prophet and the End of Tyranny

Imam Suhaib Webb discusses the relevance of the historical events in Egypt and the birth of the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ (peace be upon him). This khutbah took place at ICNYU on February 4th, 2011.

1. Shafani says:

Alhamdulillah

I find this topic very relavent and much needed in our community. Insha allah may all of us learn and benifit friom it like I did. Thank you

2. Abd Allah says:

As Salamu Alaikum Imam Suahib,

Jazak Allahu khairan for the lecture. May Allah reward you. I actually live in New York and I wish I had been able to attend the lecture at ICNYU.

I have a question though. I’m not trying to begin an argument online, I’m not after criticizing someone’s mathhab or anything like that–I would just like some clarification.

I was told that what happened in Egypt was against the Sunnah, and I was shown this hadith:

udaifah (RA) reported, Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “There will come leaders who will not follow my guidance nor my Sunnah. There will be amongst them men, who will have hearts of devils and the bodies of humans” Hudaifah asked, “What shall I do O Messenger of Allah, if I reach that?” He replied: “You should hear and obey the ruler, even if he flogs your back and takes your wealth. Then still hear and obey” [Muslim 1847]

There’s no doubt Mubarak and his regime were evil–I’ve lived in Arab countries and I know what oppression feels like, but I am confused. Isn’t this hadith and others commanding us to obey our Muslim rulers explicit?

I hope I can receive a response and jazak Allahu khairan.

• Farooq says:

First of all, I’m not a scholar. This is my personal opinion. In your quoted text “You should hear and obey the ruler”, I believe the ruler means the khalifa. Today, there is no Khalifa for the entire Muslim world, rather the Muslim lands are divided into countries, many of which are ruled by dictators. If the ummah had one khalifa, then it would have been an obligation to “hear and obey” the khalifa even if he has left the Sunnah.

3. Lut says:

As salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu, Imam Suhaib

May Allah continue to bless, guide and reward you, my brother. A truly inspiring khutba (The birth of the Prophet and the End of Tyranny). Many things you said brought tears to my eyes and a heaviness to my heart. I pray that Allah will continue to inspire you. And know that you, by the grace of Allah, provide inspiration to others.

I am one of those brothers who loves what English conveys and believe its possible to actually see Islam in living HD color (not just black and white) and at warp (not dial-up) speed in English. Your khutba (the English of it) is a perfect example of that.

4. A brother says:

Imam,
    JazakAllahu lakum alf alf khair. this was a great khutbah as always. I will use it while I prepare for mine this weekend. May Allah except your efforts.

5. salih says:

MashaAllah! Shaykh, you truly addressed the core issues of scholarship in the West. Living today vs. living the past. Barakallahu fik.

6. MT. Akbar says:

JazakAllahu Khayrun. Ameen to the duas. Masryoon ahsan naas.