Does the Qur’an call Jews Pigs and Apes? And is it Allowed for Muslims to Do So?

Asalamu alaykum,

I was recently asked this question and hope this answer helps?

The Question: “Does the Qur’an call Jews pigs and apes? And it is allowed for Muslims to do so?”

Answer:

Thanks for your question.:

In the second chapter of the Qur’an there is the story of the people of the Sabbath who failed to abide by Allah’s commands. Thus, according to the Qur’an they were turned into pigs and apes. However, there are a few important points to this story:

1. It does not refer to all the people of the Jewish faith, but only a certain group of people from the followers of Musa.

2. It is not appropriate for one to call people of the Jewish tradition “pigs and apes” or “sons of pigs and apes” since, besides being extremely rude, it is not correct. All major commentators of Quran mention that these pigs and apes did not reproduce but died off. Sh. Yusuf al-Qaradwi noted this mentioning that one should not do so. Finally, Muslims are ordered by Allah to “Speak that which is best” and to “Call unto the way of your Lord with wisdom.” Thus, it is not befitting for a Muslim to be lowly in his discourse, rude in his manners and bigoted towards others. Allah says, “[you must] be just. It is closer to piety.”

We ask Allah to raise our stations and grant us noble characters.

Suhaib

1. SaqibSaab says:

Welcome back, suhaibwebb.com.

More Qur’an posts please! Thank you.

2. Ibraheem says:

Thank your for clarifying this sidi.

3. Abu Hamza says:

Jazakumallahu khairan Shaikh Imam Suhaib, may Allah bless you for propogating the knowledge, may Allah keep you and this website going for a long long time :)

4. Sunnidk says:

As-salamu ‘alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Jazak Allahu khayran, dear brother.

Would it be okay for me to translate some of your blog posts, like this one, and post them on my blog ( http://sunnidk.wordpress.com )? I would off course credit you and link back to your original post. The translation will be to danish.

BarakAllahu feek, dear Imam.

May Allah reward you and let us learn from you.

Was-salamu ‘alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

5. There is a principle in Judaism that a person does not obey Allah that person is considered beneath an animal. An animal does not have intellect as we do and it does as Allah wishes. When a Jew who like all humans has the intelect and capacity to discern the truth and obey Allah’s commands fails to do so he is beneath the animal.

I find it interesting that one would postulate from this account in the Quran that all Jews are Pigs and Apes.
    Even if those Jews who were transformed in this manner did reproduce would not the offspring be Pigs and Apes? I never met a Jew with four legs and rolling around in mud. Nor have I met a Jew with hair all over and eating bananas. I am poking a little fun, but you see my point I am sure.

It is advantageous for those who want to divide the Muslim and Jewish community with hate and fear to propogate this falsehood that all Jews are pigs and apes.

Remember how Muhammad pbuh treated the Jews of his time. We should emulate the Prophet pbuh in this manner as we do so dillegently in all others.

6. admin says:

sunnidk:

Asalamu alaykum,

You are free to translate whatever you like.

SDW

7. Sister says:

Assalaaamu Alaikum
    subhanallah!!! I just watched a video on YouTube with my friend who wants to convert and it was a mother asking a 3 yr old what Allah thinks of the Jews and the girl said that they are pigs and monkeys and then She asked her how she knew and the girl said from the Quran. Both me and my friend were suprised and I was embarrassed because I didn’t know wat to say and I knew I remeber reading that somewhere. Now I know to show her this, Alhamdulillah.
    As Muslims we need to also stop saying “yighribit il yahood” astagfirullah
    may Allah forgive us
    barak alahu feek suheib webb!! I love ur website!

8. Susan says:

I happened to stumble across this site while trying to explain to someone that “Yes, there’s something in the Qu’ran about Jews, apes & pigs, but it’s NOT what everyone thinks it is” – and this site, as well as the commentary, perfectly illustrate the point I was trying to make. Thank you for getting the truth out.

9. Ariel says:

ASalamu Alaikum,
    I was looking for more info about the “Apes and Pigs” and
    Can you linked me to some sources that denied the use of those Suras against nowadays Jews and Christians? Because as we know, nowadays, there are many Islamic groups (like Hamas, Islamic jihad etc’) who are using those terms against Jews (mostly) and Christians…
    Anyway, I’m glad I could find here other point of view.
    Thank you for that.

10. Debora says:

This is defiantly an interesting commentary on the subject. It is actually almost cute/not offensive.

11. Shaul B says:

Hey cousins,
    Nice to see there are some decent Muslims out there who don’t think we Jews are descendants of pigs and monkeys!
    Wish you guys had a stronger voice in the world.
    Blessings!
    Shaul

• Greene says:

Hey! Yes we respect Jews and we would never call them as such. Allah was describing a punishment to those persons as warning to Muslims so that we too should not do what is forbidden. In many instances in the Quran Allah says that he favoured the children of Israel by helping them against pharaoh and his army, and showered on them food, the manna and quail from the sky which is a miracle just for them. In fact we Muslims have more in common with practising Jews than the Christians in many things. The Muslims that say such things are not educated properly and are angered more at the political situation between Jews and Muslims, and their leaders are wrongly fuelling such hatred by brainwashing them and twisting the words of our Almighty creator.

12. Jack Rainbow says:

Can you explain how millions of Muslims around the world believe that the Koran does actually define all Jews as pigs and or dogs? Can you explain in terms of textual references to the Koran, how Muslims carry out 99% of the world’s religiously motivated murders, rapes and genocide? Muslim Terrorists obviously believe the Koran does instruct them to kill non Muslims and that it does define Jews as pigs and dogs. Can you explain how they interpret the Koran in that way? Because, if you can, then we have the basis of a viable counterjihad ideology and a useful tool for public information to challenge the ideology of Terror which is derived, rightly or wrongly, from the Koran, do we not?