Archive for the ‘Community’ category

Marriage as Medicine

Abdullah Brothers’ Ramadan Masjid Tour: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI | Part VII Jumah is the best day of the week. The Khateeb, Imam Suleiman, sent a purifying message at the Atlanta Masjid. He talked about the diseases of the heart. The more he spoke, the more I began to feel dirty, and dirtier, until I […]

Purifying Your Intentions

Abdullah Brothers’ Ramadan Masjid Tour: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI One of the rewarding things about this trip is seeing the true beauty of Islam. Rich or poor, black or white, big or little, it doesn’t matter, Islam prevails. I get excited to see Muslims regardless of ethnicity. I get a little more excited […]

Be the Light

This Ramadan, Americans have faced some difficult trials: the shooting in the Aurora theater, the shooting in the Sikh temple, and the burnt down mosque in Missouri. A sister was also hit after taraweeh (extra night prayers) by a car in a hit-and-run as she was walking outside the parking lots around a local masjid; […]

Representing Muslims

Abdullah Brothers’ Ramadan Masjid Tour: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI As we made our way to Cleveland, OH I kept thinking, why do they call this place ‘the mistake by the Lake’? Cleveland has a very unfortunate history of losing and losing in dramatic fashion in the sporting world. But, for me […]

Ramadan Reflection: Seek Support

Two young women and a young man reached out to me respectively this past week, none knowing the others, but all having gone through a similar experience as children. Each had been the victim of sexual abuse at a very young age, and none of them had really spoken about it for quite some time. […]

All About Reflection

Abdullah Brothers’ Ramadan Masjid Tour: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI Leaving Denver, CO we had nine hours on our hands to talk about life. One of the most rewarding things about this trip is spending time with my older brothers. The two I’ve looked up to since I popped out the womb. They’ve […]

Syria and the Ansar

by Iman Badawi I prayed to Allah for Syria last night. It’s a simple act, a basic obligation, but is it enough? Ramadan is here and the dragging hours of summer daylight test the endurance of the believer. The pain of hunger and the anguish of thirst render the first date sweeter than those of […]

The State of Muslims in America

Abdullah Brothers’ Ramadan Masjid Tour: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI The following video is from Day 1 of the Ramadan Masjid Tour, when Hamza and Husain Abdullah spoke at IIOC. Pullman, WA: a special place in the hearts of everyone who’s ever been there. My experience started […]

L.A. to Seattle

Abdullah Brothers’ Ramadan Masjid Tour: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI This post is the second in a series of updates from Hamza and Husain Abdullah in their Ramadan Masjid Tour. Check out the first post here. Assalamu `alaykum, Los Angeles, CA where I was born and somewhat raised: sunny skies, palm trees and […]

Spiritual Liberation This Ramadan

The Amazing Race: Part I | Part II | Part III Note: This series, inspired by the lessons of ipersonalenrichment.com was supposed to be four parts, but because of its delay, parts 3 and 4 have been combined with an added Ramadan bonus video. While this series focuses mostly on concepts, the program works to internalize them. We […]

Go on Tour with the NFL’s Abdullah Bros this Ramadan!

Abdullah Brothers’ Ramadan Masjid Tour: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI This website will be featuring updates from Hamza and Husain Abdullah’s Masjid Tour during Ramadan. Check out the first post below! Assalamu `alaykum, This is Husain Abdullah and I’ll be joining SuhaibWebb.com for the Month of Ramadan. I’ve been blessed with this […]

Proactive Women and the Prophet ﷺ

A group of women from the tribe of Ghifar approached the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ (peace be upon him) to seek his permission to tend to the wounded during the battle of Khaybar. The Prophet ﷺ welcomed their request, giving them permission, stating, “By the blessings of God.” With this group of women was a young […]

Problems with Attraction

Question: I have been trying to get married for the past few years, and the main problem I am facing is that whoever is brought to me as a prospect through my family or the community, I am just not physically attracted to them; and it is not because I am looking for a super […]

More than Days: The History of Islamic Months

by Imam al-Qarafi | Translated by Suhaib Webb The names of the Islamic months are rooted in certain events that took place in them. Ramadan is named after Ramda; Ramda are stones heated by the sun during summer. Shawal is derived from the lifting (Ar. shayl) of a camel’s tail to ward off flies (because […]

Shah Walliullah al-Dehlawi’s Approach to Reform

By Abu al-Hassan al-Nadwi | Translated by Suhaib Webb Imam al-Dahlawi undertook efforts towards revival and reform by focusing on the following: During his age, the majority of Muslims had major shortcomings in understanding how to have faith in God (Ar. tauhid). It was clouded by numerous ignorant ideas, corrupted philosophies, and un-Islamic customs, so […]

Ingratitude: The Other Kufr (Disbelief)

At ICNYU, Imam Khalid Latif discusses the importance of thanking others and expressing gratitude, along with the dangers of being ungrateful.

Divine Beauty

Reconstructing Beauty Series: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI In an enlightening hadith (prophetic narration), the Prophet ﷺ tells us that no one with an ounce of arrogance in his heart will enter Paradise. In seeking to understand what arrogance means, the companions asked “O Prophet of Allah, what if a person likes to dress […]

Getting Real with Da`wah: Those Touchy Situations

Imagine three scenarios. The first: A young man sees a Muslim woman sitting behind a table that reads, “Free Qur’ans and Info on Islam,” on his campus. The young man has been wanting to learn more about Islam and thinks this as the perfect opportunity. In his desire to show his respect and acceptance of […]

Introducing a New Series: Reconstructing Beauty

Reconstructing Beauty Series: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI We live in a time of incredible focus on physical appearances and image.  In our upcoming series Reconstructing Beauty – to be posted every Wednesday for the next five weeks, inshaAllah – some of our best writers here at SuhaibWebb.com will be […]

The Language Argument

Balancing Arabization Series: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI | Part VII | Part VIII | Part IX Judging any argument should not be done with preconceived notions or according to cultural influence, rather it should be judged objectively after looking into its intrinsic merit. As Muslims, our criterion of validity for religious matters is that […]