Archive for the ‘Community’ category

The Need for Consultation (mushāwara)

In the name of Allah, the most merciful, the most kind. As Muslims, the best role model we have is of course, the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ (peace be upon him). About him, Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala (exalted is He) says: And indeed, you are of a great moral character. And as Aisha radi allahu `anha […]

The Language of the Khutbah

Originally published in January 2010 By the Grace of Allah, we have a beautiful tradition of law filled with rich wisdom that balances between a deep understanding of our scripture and the reality of those to whom it is applied. Consequentially, our scholars have dealt with the modern world by developing two new applications of […]

The Artist of All Artists

You haven’t really realized your place in life until you’ve tried to describe a sunset in words. I realized this as I sat on a large rock near a creek on the University of Maryland campus and tried to describe the breathtaking view with pen and paper. I worked at it for several minutes and […]

Muslims Who Broke My Heart

WebbStaff Note: This is part of a series of posts entitled “Muslims Making a Difference,” featuring Muslims benefiting society at different levels. To nominate someone to be profiled, please email their name, contact info and bio to: submissions[at]suhaibwebb[dot]com. Muslims Making a Difference: I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV By Dr. Wajid Akhter I don’t count myself as an […]

Al-Qaabid, Al-Baasit

Names of Allah Series:  Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI | Part VII | Part VIII | Part IX | Part X | Part XI | Part XII | Part XIII | Part XIV | Part XV | Part XVI | Part XVII | Part XVIII | Part XIX | Part XX | Part XXI | Part XXII | Part XXIII |Part XXIV | Part XXV | Part XXVI | Part XXVII | Part XXVIII | Part XXIX | Part XXX | Part XXXI| Part […]

Reach Out

By Nabeelah Naeen Eight days after the December 2004 tsunami in Indonesia, 11-year-old Fatimah was rescued from the rubble. Holding a soda can in her hand she asked, “Am I allowed to drink this? It is not mine.” “What really moved me is the level of consciousness that the young girl had,” said Islamic Relief […]

A Bundle of Peace, Mercy, and Blessings

Islam: a blessing loaded with blessings. From among these blessings is one thing in particular that distinguishes Islam from all other faiths. Something that transcends linguistic, cultural, ethnic and geographical barriers. Something that is understood from the most urbanized areas in the West, to the remotest locations of the East. Something that embodies the concept […]

The Way of Love

By Rachel Twort The meaning of Islam to the cultures that adopted it is revealed through the borrowing of Arabic words. The following languages have a word for love originating in Arabic:  Tigrigna, Amharic, Turkish, Farsi, Urdu, Hindi, Gujarati, Bengali, Malay, Somali, Pashto, Azeri, Dari, Uzbek. If you were born in a Muslim family, is […]

“Not educated… No expert…”

By Nabil Ahmed Part I | Part II In our last article we reminded ourselves of how little in reality we know—and how an obsessiveness of thinking that we’re “right” is not a characteristic of a humble Believing Mind. In this second article, we explore how we can reach the intellectual humility that we crave. […]

In Need of Him

By Nabil Ahmed Part I | Part II What do I know anyway?  One of my teachers taught us in a class earlier this year: ‘The less you learn, the more you think you know. And the more you learn, the more you realize how little you know!’ This shook me to my core. I […]

The Reality of One Ummah

Abdullah Brothers’ Ramadan Masjid Tour: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI | Part VII | Part VIII As we prepped for Lubbock, TX, I had no idea what to expect. Weather-wise I was getting very nervous. The hard rain, the dark clouds, the lightning showers we drove into gave me instant Taqwaa. I just think of the Ad & […]

Spiritual Relevance between the Original Text and Native Expression

Balancing Arabization Series: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI | Part VII | Part VIII | Part IX | Part X We are blessed with the finality of revelation preserved just as it was revealed to our beloved Prophet ﷺ (peace be upon him). We should be attached to that message as much as possible. It should play a permeating role […]

Marriage as Medicine

Abdullah Brothers’ Ramadan Masjid Tour: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI | Part VII Jumah is the best day of the week. The Khateeb, Imam Suleiman, sent a purifying message at the Atlanta Masjid. He talked about the diseases of the heart. The more he spoke, the more I began to feel dirty, and dirtier, until I […]

Purifying Your Intentions

Abdullah Brothers’ Ramadan Masjid Tour: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI One of the rewarding things about this trip is seeing the true beauty of Islam. Rich or poor, black or white, big or little, it doesn’t matter, Islam prevails. I get excited to see Muslims regardless of ethnicity. I get a little more excited […]

Be the Light

This Ramadan, Americans have faced some difficult trials: the shooting in the Aurora theater, the shooting in the Sikh temple, and the burnt down mosque in Missouri. A sister was also hit after taraweeh (extra night prayers) by a car in a hit-and-run as she was walking outside the parking lots around a local masjid; […]

Representing Muslims

Abdullah Brothers’ Ramadan Masjid Tour: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI As we made our way to Cleveland, OH I kept thinking, why do they call this place ‘the mistake by the Lake’? Cleveland has a very unfortunate history of losing and losing in dramatic fashion in the sporting world. But, for me […]

Ramadan Reflection: Seek Support

Two young women and a young man reached out to me respectively this past week, none knowing the others, but all having gone through a similar experience as children. Each had been the victim of sexual abuse at a very young age, and none of them had really spoken about it for quite some time. […]

All About Reflection

Abdullah Brothers’ Ramadan Masjid Tour: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI Leaving Denver, CO we had nine hours on our hands to talk about life. One of the most rewarding things about this trip is spending time with my older brothers. The two I’ve looked up to since I popped out the womb. They’ve […]

Syria and the Ansar

by Iman Badawi I prayed to Allah for Syria last night. It’s a simple act, a basic obligation, but is it enough? Ramadan is here and the dragging hours of summer daylight test the endurance of the believer. The pain of hunger and the anguish of thirst render the first date sweeter than those of […]

The State of Muslims in America

Abdullah Brothers’ Ramadan Masjid Tour: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI The following video is from Day 1 of the Ramadan Masjid Tour, when Hamza and Husain Abdullah spoke at IIOC. Pullman, WA: a special place in the hearts of everyone who’s ever been there. My experience started […]