Archive for the ‘Community’ category

Stamp Out Hunger

Amongst the most basic needs of human existence is sustenance. God talks about this in different places in the Qur’an emphasizing that all people must eat and drink and that even the Messengers who were sent to mankind ate and drank (Qur’an 5:75). He also mentions in various places in the Qur’an that He has […]

Part and Parcel

By Lena Khan On the day that I write this, I received an email from a sister giving me advice (nasiha). I can (maybe) make documentaries, she told me—but certainly not fictional films. I should refrain from imitating the kuffar (disbelievers) in making movies. And for certain, I should be careful of engaging too much […]

The Arqam Effect: From Reading the Qur’an to Action

Those familiar with the biography of the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ (peace be upon him)  are versant with the story of a young man named Arqam. Arqam played an instrumental role in the unfolding of the history of the Arabian Peninsula. Despite his key role in history, he is noted in the books of Prophetic biography to […]

“Every Soul Shall Taste Death”

Make a New Year’s Resolution to Complete Your Last Will and Testament By Aneesah Nadir Happy 1434/2013!  What’s your New Year’s resolution?  Is it to lose weight, eat healthy, spend less, read more Qur’an, pray on time?  Is it to get organized? Is this the year to complete your Last Will and Testament? Did you know […]

There can only be one truth, right?

There can only be one truth, right? So when it comes to Islamic law this must also be the case. There may be different opinions but only one of them is correct and therefore my ‘shaykh’, ‘madhab’, ‘tariqa’, ‘group’ is usually right to the exclusion of others. This may be the type of logic that […]

The Lesser of Two Good Deeds

Lecture by Suhaib Webb | Transcribed by Fuseina Mohamad Surat Al-Fatiha Series: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI | Part VII | Part VIII | Part IX | Part X | Part XI | Part XII | Part XIII | Part XIV| Part XV | Part XVI | Part XVII | Part XVIII | Part XIX | Part XX | Part XXI | Part XXII | Part XXIII | Part XXIV | Part XXV  This is the final article in the Surat Al-Fatiha Series.  The Lesser of Two Good Deeds The […]

Beware of Zombies. Or Are You One?

By Moutasem Atiya A few months ago, I was sitting with Shaykh Mohsen Al’Najjar in the Mosque of our Messenger Muhammad ﷺ (peace be upon him and his family), preparing to make the blessed ziyara (visitation).  As we sat, I could not help but marvel at the amazing Ottoman calligraphy decorating the mosque.  My eyes and spirit […]

Watch as He Increases You

I was walking through the streets of a city that I have been blessed to visit—except it didn’t really feel like a blessing. Everywhere I looked people were yelling, people were fighting and worst of all they were invading my little bubble of privacy that had been unaltered all the years that I was in […]

The Need for Consultation (mushāwara)

In the name of Allah, the most merciful, the most kind. As Muslims, the best role model we have is of course, the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ (peace be upon him). About him, Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala (exalted is He) says: And indeed, you are of a great moral character. And as Aisha radi allahu `anha […]

The Language of the Khutbah

Originally published in January 2010 By the Grace of Allah, we have a beautiful tradition of law filled with rich wisdom that balances between a deep understanding of our scripture and the reality of those to whom it is applied. Consequentially, our scholars have dealt with the modern world by developing two new applications of […]

The Artist of All Artists

You haven’t really realized your place in life until you’ve tried to describe a sunset in words. I realized this as I sat on a large rock near a creek on the University of Maryland campus and tried to describe the breathtaking view with pen and paper. I worked at it for several minutes and […]

Muslims Who Broke My Heart

WebbStaff Note: This is part of a series of posts entitled “Muslims Making a Difference,” featuring Muslims benefiting society at different levels. To nominate someone to be profiled, please email their name, contact info and bio to: submissions[at]suhaibwebb[dot]com. Muslims Making a Difference: I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV By Dr. Wajid Akhter I don’t count myself as an […]

Al-Qaabid, Al-Baasit

Names of Allah Series:  Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI | Part VII | Part VIII | Part IX | Part X | Part XI | Part XII | Part XIII | Part XIV | Part XV | Part XVI | Part XVII | Part XVIII | Part XIX | Part XX | Part XXI | Part XXII | Part XXIII |Part XXIV | Part XXV | Part XXVI | Part XXVII | Part XXVIII We all go through periods of constriction. Our […]

Reach Out

By Nabeelah Naeen Eight days after the December 2004 tsunami in Indonesia, 11-year-old Fatimah was rescued from the rubble. Holding a soda can in her hand she asked, “Am I allowed to drink this? It is not mine.” “What really moved me is the level of consciousness that the young girl had,” said Islamic Relief […]

A Bundle of Peace, Mercy, and Blessings

By Ubah Islam: a blessing loaded with blessings. From among these blessings is one thing in particular that distinguishes Islam from all other faiths. Something that transcends linguistic, cultural, ethnic and geographical barriers. Something that is understood from the most urbanized areas in the West, to the remotest locations of the East. Something that embodies the […]

The Way of Love

By Rachel Twort The meaning of Islam to the cultures that adopted it is revealed through the borrowing of Arabic words. The following languages have a word for love originating in Arabic:  Tigrigna, Amharic, Turkish, Farsi, Urdu, Hindi, Gujarati, Bengali, Malay, Somali, Pashto, Azeri, Dari, Uzbek. If you were born in a Muslim family, is […]

“Not educated… No expert…”

By Nabil Ahmed Part I | Part II In our last article we reminded ourselves of how little in reality we know—and how an obsessiveness of thinking that we’re “right” is not a characteristic of a humble Believing Mind. In this second article, we explore how we can reach the intellectual humility that we crave. […]

In Need of Him

By Nabil Ahmed Part I | Part II What do I know anyway?  One of my teachers taught us in a class earlier this year: ‘The less you learn, the more you think you know. And the more you learn, the more you realize how little you know!’ This shook me to my core. I […]

The Reality of One Ummah

Abdullah Brothers’ Ramadan Masjid Tour: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI | Part VII | Part VIII As we prepped for Lubbock, TX, I had no idea what to expect. Weather-wise I was getting very nervous. The hard rain, the dark clouds, the lightning showers we drove into gave me instant Taqwaa. I just think of the Ad & […]

Spiritual Relevance between the Original Text and Native Expression

Balancing Arabization Series: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI | Part VII | Part VIII | Part IX | Part X We are blessed with the finality of revelation preserved just as it was revealed to our beloved Prophet ﷺ (peace be upon him). We should be attached to that message as much as possible. It should play a permeating role […]