Archive for the ‘Community’ category

Understanding Overlapping Priorities

Lessons in Islamic Work: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI | Part VII | Part VIII |Part IX | Part X | Part XI | Part XII One of the common mistakes that is seen in those who are working for Islam is that they lose balance of all the things they are responsible for. We know that the Prophet ﷺ said: “Every […]

A Measure of Your Success is What You Leave Behind

Lessons in Islamic Work: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI | Part VII | Part VIII |Part IX | Part X | Part XI | Part XII We have discussed previously the importance of quality over quantity and how we should focus on the development of people. This lesson is related to that one in that it gives us something to measure […]

Remove “Feminist,” Insert “Muslimah”

By Ubah It seems that as a Muslim woman, if I stand up for any issue regarding the plight of women – such as poverty, education, domestic violence – I am inevitably clumped into the vast, heterogeneous category that is “feminist”. Feminism, in and of itself, is so complicated and perplex that for one to […]

A Skeleton in the Closet

By Abu Nusaybah When said: “Muslims are terrorists”, we quickly point out the faulty logic in that statement. We know this is not true. We know this idea and statement have harmful impacts. As a result, we oppose it. The argument goes something like this: A, B and C are Muslims. A, B and C […]

Seeking Permission

Lessons in Islamic Work: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI | Part VII One of the results of having an amir, leader, or decision-making process is that decisions have a process by which they should be made. Indeed, this sounds so simple that it is almost foolish to state it, but it […]

The War Against Traditions

When the Prophet ﷺ was sent with the divine message, the key change that took place was the fact that rather than traditions and ancients customs being the sole source of practice and yardstick for right and wrong, it was the book of Allah, subhanahu wa ta`ala (exalted is He), the Qur’an and the Prophetic […]

Appointing an Amir

Lessons in Islamic Work: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI | Part VII “If three people are traveling then appoint one from amongst you to be the amir (leader).” – Narrated by al-Tabari with a sound chain of transmission. An essential part of working for Islam is working in a group. […]

Gold, Diamonds and Cloth: Economic Decisions at the Masjid

By Dr. Jerry Hionis, Jr. I believe that “Islamic” economics should start to focus on the day-to-day decisions we as Muslims make. For example, one can go to a Jum’ah (Friday) service at any masjid and see decisions Muslims make with little thought. It is very common to see both men and women wearing some […]

Moving Forward

By Abu Nusaybah What direction are we heading toward? During the early days of the call to Islam, the community struggled to exist and operated in secret for some time. As such, building the community in the Prophetic tradition largely took place following the migration to Madinah. Immediately upon arrival, the Prophet ﷺ (peace be […]

“We Weren’t Born Knowing, We Had to Learn”

The Path to Learning & Teaching Qur’an By Amal S Bismillah (In the Name of God) It is reported that Umar Ibn Al-Khattab (radi Allahu ‘anhu) said: “Every day we are told so and so has just died. Most definitely, one day it will be said: “Umar has died.”” Let’s take that in for a […]

Worship Allah Not People: Lessons from Islamic Leadership

Lessons in Islamic Work Series: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V | Part VI | Part VII It is part of our nature as human beings to develop an attachment to those we love. From leaders to role models, to our family and friends; it’s hard to imagine a world without those dear to us. […]

Depressive Da`wah Style—[The Bitter-Pill Treatment]

By Othman Mohammad Of the many Friday sermons that I have attended since my adolescence, one in particular stuck with me. I thought the speaker made a shocking statement to the people who left their businesses, homes, families, and busy life schedules in order to devote this hour to Allah (subhanahu wa ta`ala – exalted […]

The Coming Islamic Renaissance

By Saadia Khan With all the negative media associated with Islam these days, it can be quite disparaging for the average Muslim. Every time we see another Muslim rapist, suicide-bomber, corrupt politician or backwards adherent using Islam to justify his or her deplorable actions, we almost want to scream from the rooftops: “These people do […]

The Mosque

By Leila Adam “The mosques of Allah are only to be maintained by those who believe in Allah and the Last Day and establish prayer and give zakah and do not fear except Allah, for it is expected that those will be of the [rightly] guided .” (Qu’ran, 9:18). I have met people who get […]

10 Steps on How to Change the World

By Saud Inam We all see the depressing stories on TV, in magazines, and in the newspapers filled with heart breaking images and stories from Syria, Palestine and even here in the US with unemployment, civil rights abuses, government inefficiency, corruption and other issues. We also see Islamophobes incessantly bashing Islam and Muslims, and the hungry […]

The Night Before Eid: Substance Abuse in the Muslim Community

As the last moments of Ramadan made their swan song, worshipers at the mosque I serve in Boston began to shine a sense of happiness, relief and accomplishment that lit the building. After the sunset prayer, people began to hug each other, congratulating each other for a blessed month of fasting, charity and prayers–a heck […]

The Lighthouse

Imagine being a captain on a ship, lost at sea in the midst of dark deep waters. The sun sets and you are left trying to get your GPS to pick up a signal, any signal, to let you know where you might possibly be. As your GPS refuses to work, you begin to think […]

How do we end our Ramadan?

Originally published in August 2011. We thank Allah subhanahu wa ta`ala (exalted is He) who has blessed us with witnessing yet another Ramadan! The Prophet ﷺ (peace be upon him) said that actions are judged by their ending [Bukhari]. So while many of us have started preparing for Eid, we should also make sure that we end this blessed […]

Praying with the Ants

By Umm Muhemmed There just isn’t enough space. The mosque is overflowing with people. Tarps are being spread to accommodate the mass of worshipers. Men are pouring out to the front of the mosque and the women are…waiting. Finally someone gestures to a brother to find something suitable for the waiting women. The women spread […]

Our Idiot Brother: 7 Things You May Not Know About Your Younger Sibling

By Abid Mohammed Disclaimer: This article is the first of a three part series looking at the wide array of relationships that younger siblings have and from different perspectives. The next article will focus on what younger siblings should know about their older siblings. “‘Joseph and his brother are more beloved to our father than […]